Post-Potter Depression [poh-st, pah-terr, dee-press-shon] noun: The feeling of sadness or hopelessness at the prospect of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling coming to an end. The joy, the tears, and the looming question of, what next?

Monday, April 4, 2011

Nostalgia...

2011, I believe, has been a year of nostalgia.

What with the film series coming to an end, Harry Potter fans can't seem to find enough time to reminisce about all of the good times they've had at premiers, all of the life-long friend's they've made, and the long road that has slowly led us all to where we are today.

Many of us have felt the long-term effects of having Harry in our lives and appreciate the significant influence that the series has had on our lives today and into the future. Personally, I would be a liar if I said that reading Harry Potter didn't change my life at all or that I would be the same person without having ever picked up a book, or popped in a film. The plain truth is, for many of us, Harry Potter has become more than just a book. For me, it was a springboard towards a life-long love of reading; it was a better understanding of myself now, and who I want to grow up to be. For someone else, Harry Potter could have been something entirely different, or nothing at all and I think that is what makes the series special.

In my Young Adult Lit class this semester, we've talked a lot about this idea called "reader response" which basically just means that every good book is able to evoke a powerful meaning, message, or understanding from its readers. The trick is, however, that all of these meanings shouldn't be the same. Reading should be a personal and different experience for this person and the video I've chosen today reminds me of that.

Listening to Jerry talk about how Harry Potter has influenced his life reminded me about how different yet meaningful all of our experiences have been while traveling down this long and windy road.

Hope you enjoy :)


For more of Jerry, you should click this. And you should!

Until next time! xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment