Post-Potter Depression [poh-st, pah-terr, dee-press-shon] noun: The feeling of sadness or hopelessness at the prospect of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling coming to an end. The joy, the tears, and the looming question of, what next?

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Get Ready to Get LOST

Very few things give me the page-turning, brain-busting, stomach all in knots feeling that the Harry Potter series does and, I have to admit, when I heard all of my friends talking about Lost, I couldn't help but be skeptical.

I've never really had an OBSESSION with a television show before; nothing that really kept me clawing at the edge of my seat week after week. So, naturally, it was hard to believe that Lost would be any different.

BUT OH MY GOD WAS I WRONG.

For anyone who doesn't know, Lost, is a series that starts off with a plane crash on an unknown, deserted island (how cliche, I know). The survivors of flight 815 soon learn that they're in for a longer stay than they had imagined and that they may not be the only survivors lurking around...

I think one of the reasons I love Lost so much is because of its evolution. From season one to season six you grow love the characters and become emotionally attached to almost each and every one of their stories and, with so much action going on in the plot itself, I find that pretty darn remarkable. So many shows lose their characters in an attempt to create a thrilling plot and the balance displayed in Lost is one of the many factors that make it, in my opinion, one of the best shows ever to grace a television screen. And also, Sawyer is so hot that he, alone, may even make the show worth watching.

Since the show ended in May, many people have voiced their rage on the internet about how the series finale was a total flop and, of course, every rose has it's thorns. But, in my opinion, the finale remained true to the series and, as a result, Lost became an incredible story about people and the importance of the choices we make and the paths we forge for ourselves throughout life.

After watching only the first four or five episodes, I knew I was hooked. It was one of those things where I'd sit down to watch maybe one or two episodes and, before I knew it, the sky was dark and I had been holed up in my room having an impromptu Lost marathon for the past eight hours. So my disclaimer to you is this: make sure you set aside appropriately sized  chunks of time before turning on your television and NEVER! EVER! start an episode you know you won't be able to finish...you'll just end up skipping whatever doctor's appointment, hot date, or dinner plans you had anyway...it's that kind of good.

Oh! And one more amazing thing about Lost is that you can watch the ENTIRE series on hulu.com which I will link HERE. So now, no one has any excuse NOT to check it out ; )!

I will warn you, I have, in my time since watching Lost made many fanatics out of my friends and families, and that Post-Lost Depression can be just as achy and severe as Post-Potter Depression! If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, OR even a television cure for Post-Lost Depression (for me maybe :) )...I would love to read about it below!

Until next time! xxx

1 comment: